Calvin K.L. OrAssociate Professor
Assistant Head of Department
Dr. Calvin K.L. Or obtained his BEng and MSc degrees in Industrial Engineering from the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology and Mississippi State University, respectively. He received his Ph.D. degree from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. His research work focuses on the application of human factors and ergonomics to improve the design and usability of health care work system and technology to enhance the satisfaction, safety, and health of patients and health care professionals.
- Human factors and ergonomics; human-computer interaction
- Consumer health informatics; health systems engineering; patient safety
- Information technology implementation, adoption, and acceptance
Professional Services & Honorary Appointment
- Honorary Advisor, Quality and Safety, New Territories East Cluster, Hong Kong Hospital Authority
- President, Hong Kong Ergonomics Society (2019 - present)
- Scientific Editor for Applied Ergonomics (2019 - 2021)
- Associate Editor for BMC Health Services Research
- Associate Editor for the International Journal of Healthcare Information Systems and Informatics
- Editorial board for Journal of Medical Internet Research–Human Factors
- Scientific Advisory Board for the International Conference on Human Factors and Ergonomics in Healthcare
- IMSE3128 Human Factors Engineering
- IELM6030 Ergonomics (Graduate level)
- Man-Machine Systems
- Occupational Health & Safety Management
- Work Design
- Introduction to Human Factors Engineering
Or, C. K. L.*, Liu, K., So, M. K. P., Cheung, B M. Y., Yam, L. Y. C., Tiwari, A., Lau, E., Lau T., Hui, G. P. S., Cheng, H. C., Tan, J., & Cheung, M. T. (2020). Improving self-care in patients carrying coexisting type 2 diabetes and hypertension by technological-surrogate nursing: randomized controlled trial. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 22(3), e16769.
Liu, K., Xie, Z., & Or, C. K. L.* (2020). Effectiveness of mobile app-assisted self-care interventions in improving patient outcomes in type 2 diabetes and/or hypertension: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. JMIR mHealth and uHealth.
Yan, M. & Or, C. K. L.* (2019). A 12-week pilot study of acceptance of a computer-based chronic disease self-monitoring system among patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and/or hypertension. Health Informatics Journal, 25(3), 828-843.
Liu, K., Chan, F. Y., Or, C.*, Sun, D. T., Lai, W. S., & So, H. Y. (2019). Heuristic evaluation and simulated use testing of infusion pumps to inform pump selection. International Journal of Medical Informatics, 131, article 103932.
Cheung, D. S. T., Or, C. K. L.*, So, M. K. P., Ho, K., & Tiwari, A. (2019). The use of eHealth applications in Hong Kong: results of a random-digit dialing survey. Journal of Medical Systems, 43(9), article 293.
Chan, K. L.*, Ip, P., Leung, W. C., Or, C., & Tiwari, A. (2019). Using smartphone-based psychoeducation to reduce postnatal depression among first-time mothers: randomized clinical trial. JMIR mHealth and uHealth, 7(5), e12794.
Liu, K. F., Or, C. K. L., & Li, S.* (2019). Visual differentiation and recognition memory of look-alike drug names: effects of disfluent format, text enhancement, and exposure time. Ergonomics, 62(10), 1289-1300.
Wang, H. L.* & Or, C. K. L. (2019). The effects of text enhancement, identical prescription package names, visual cues, and verbal provocation on visual searches of look-alike drug names: A simulation and eye tracking study. Human Factors.
Wang, H., Lin, J.-H., & Or, C. K. L.* (2019). Prediction of maximum static grip strength in a standing posture and with preferred grip span in a Chinese sample. IISE Transactions on Occupational Ergonomics and Human Factors, 7(2), 71-80.
Or, C. K. L.*, Tong, E., Tan, J., & Chan, S. (2018). Exploring factors affecting voluntary adoption of electronic medical records among physicians and clinical assistants of small or solo private general practice clinics. Journal of Medical Systems, 42(7), article 121 (p.1-12).
Cheung, D. S. T., Or, C. K. L.*, So, M. K. P., & Tiwari A. (2018). Usability testing of a smartphone application for delivering Qigong training. Journal of Medical Systems. 42(10), article 191.
Xie, Z., Nacioglu, A., and Or, C.* (2018). Prevalence, demographic correlates, and perceived impacts of mobile health app use amongst Chinese adults: cross-sectional survey study. JMIR mHealth and uHealth, 6(4): e103.
Li, S.*, Cox, A. L., Or, C., & Blandford, A. (2018). Effects of monetary reward and punishment on information checking behaviour: An Eye-Tracking Study. Applied Ergonomics, 70, 110-117.
Yan, M. & Or, C. K. L.* (2018). Factors in the 4-week acceptance of a computer-based chronic disease self-monitoring system in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and/or hypertension. Telemedicine and e-Health, 24(2), 121-129.
Xie, Z. & Or, C. K. L.* (2017). Associations between waiting times, service times and patient satisfaction in an endocrinology outpatient department: a time study and questionnaire survey. INQUIRY: The Journal of Health Care Organization, Provision, and Financing, 54, 1-10.
- Or, C. K. L.*, Tao, D., & Wang, H. (2017). The effectiveness of the use of consumer health information technology in patients with heart failure: a meta-analysis and narrative review of randomized controlled trials. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare, 23(1), 155-166.
- Or, C. K. L.* & Tao, D. (2016). A 3-month randomized controlled pilot trial of a patient-centered, computer-based self-monitoring system for the care of type 2 diabetes mellitus and hypertension. Journal of Medical Systems, 40(4), 81.
- Chow, C. B., Wong, W. H. S, Leung, W. C., Tang, M. H. Y., Chan, K. L., Or, C. K. L., Li, T. M. H., Ho, F. K. W., Lo, D., & Ip, P.* (2016). Effectiveness of Internet-based injury prevention program in enhancing mother’s knowledge on child safety. Journal of Medical Internet Research (JMIR)-Research Protocols, 5(4): e205.
- Li, S. Y. W.*, Cox, A., Or, C., & Blandford, A. (2016). Effects of monetary reward and punishment on information checking behaviour. Applied Ergonomics, 53, 258-266.
- Holden, R., Valdez, R., Hundt, A., Marquard, J., Montague, E., Nathan-Roberts, D., Or, C., & Zayas-Cabán, T. (2015). Field-based human factors in home and community settings: challenges and strategies. In Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual meeting (Los Angeles, CA, October 26-30, 2015).
- Or, C. K. L.* & Wang, H. (2014). A comparison of the effects of different typographical methods on the recognizability of printed drug names. Drug Safety, 37(5), 351-359.
- Or, C. K. L.* & Tao, D. (2014). Does the use of consumer health information technology improve outcomes in the patient self-management of diabetes? A meta-analysis and narrative review of randomized controlled trials. International Journal of Medical Informatics, 83(5), 320-329.
- Or, C. K. L.*, Dohan, M., & Tan, J. (2014). Understanding critical barriers to implementing a clinical information system in a nursing home through the lens of a socio-technical perspective. Journal of Medical Systems. 38(9): 99.
- Tao, D. & Or, C. K. L.* (2013). Effects of self-management health information technology on glycaemic control for diabetic patients: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare, 19(3), 133-143.
- Or, C. K. L.* & Tao, D. (2012). Usability study of a computer-based self-management system for older adults with chronic diseases. Journal of Medical Internet Research (JMIR)-Research Protocols, 1(2), e13.
- Or, C. K. L.*, Karsh, B., Severtson, L., Burke, L., Brown, R., & Brennan, P. F. (2011). Factors affecting home care patients’ acceptance of a Web-based interactive self-management technology. The Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 18(1), 51-59.
- Karsh, B.*, Holden, R. J., & Or, C. K. L. (2011). Human factors and ergonomics of health information technology implementation. In P. Carayon (Ed.), Handbook of Human Factors and Ergonomics in Health Care and Patient Safety. 2nd Ed. (pp. 249-264). Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.
- Or, C. K. L. & Karsh, B.* (2009). A systematic review of patient acceptance of consumer health information technology. The Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 16(4), 550-560.
- Or, C. K. L., Valdez, R., Casper, G., Carayon, P., Burke, L. J., Brennan, P. F., & Karsh, B.* (2009). Human factors and ergonomics in home care: Current concerns and future considerations for health information technology. WORK: A Journal of Prevention, Assessment and Rehabilitation, 33(2), 201-209.
- Or, C. K. L. & Duffy, V. G.* (2007). Development of a facial skin temperature-based methodology for non-intrusive mental workload measurement. Occupational Ergonomics, 7(2), 83-94.
- Karsh, B.*, Holden, R. J., Alper, S. J., & Or, C. K. L. (2006). A human factors engineering paradigm for patient safety: designing to support the performance of the healthcare professional. Quality and Safety in Health Care, 15(suppl_1), 59-65.
(* denotes corresponding author)