Y. XuAssistant Professor
Will be joining the Department in early 2024
Dr. Yang Xu is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Systems Engineering at The University of Hong Kong. Dr. Yang Xu obtained his Ph.D. degree in Industrial and Systems Engineering and his M.S. degree in Computer Science from the University of Southern California (USC), as well as his M.S. and B.S. degrees in Mechanical Engineering and Automation from Beihang University. Prior to joining HKU, Yang Xu worked as a postdoctoral research associate at USC and UC Berkeley, respectively. Dr. Yang Xu’s research aims to develop new manufacturing technologies that enable people to revolutionize future product design and manufacturing. His current research thrusts include next-generation additive manufacturing (AM) processes, intelligent manufacturing systems, and novel designs empowered by AM.
Dr. Yang Xu has published his research work in prestigious journals in the field of manufacturing and materials, including Nature Communications, Additive Manufacturing, Advanced Materials, and Small. During his Ph.D., Dr. Yang Xu was given the Best Paper Award in MSEC2020, Best Ph.D. Dissertation Award in USC’s Epstein Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering and the William F. Ballhaus Jr. Prize for Excellence in Graduate Engineering Research - Viterbi Engineering School’s Best Ph.D. Dissertation Finalist Award.
Personal website: https://www.yxu195.com/
- Novel AM processes and machine development
- AI-assisted process planning and control methodologies
- AI-driven design methods for AM-empowered applications
- Programmable materials, soft materials, and functional composites
Opportunities for Research
Ph.D. and MPhil positions: Students with B.S. or M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Automation, Computer Science, Robotics, Material Science, Chemistry or related fields are welcome to apply. Please send me your CV and academic transcripts, and indicate your research interests. Please visit https://www.yxu195.com/join for details.
Postdoc and visiting research positions: Dr. Yang Xu is looking for postdoctoral research fellows in broad areas of additive manufacturing, robotics, mechatronics, machine learning, and polymer chemistry. Please send me your CV with the publication list and research interests. Please refer to https://www.yxu195.com/join for details. Visiting research positions are also available if your research background aligns with the lab research interests. Please get in touch with Dr. Yang Xu by email.
- Yang Xu, Fangjie Qi, Huachao Mao, Songwei Li, Yizhen Zhu, Jingwen Gong, Lu Wang, Noah Malmstadt, and Yong Chen. “In-situ Transfer Vat Photopolymerization for Transparent Microfluidic Device Fabrication.” Nature Communications, 2022.
- Yang Xu, Huachao Mao, Zhengyu Du, Weijia Yan, Zhuoyuan Yang, Cenyi Liu, Jouni Partanen and Yong Chen. “Hopping Light Vat Photopolymerization for Multiscale Fabrication.” Small, 2022.
- Yang Xu, Ziqi Wang, Siyu Gong, Yong Chen, “Reusable Supports for Additive Manufacturing.” Additive Manufacturing, 2021.
- Yang Xu, Yizhen Zhu, Yifeng Sun, Jie Jin, Yong Chen, “A Vibration-assisted Separation Method for Constrained-surface-based Stereolithography.” Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 2021.
- Yang Xu, Fangjie Qi, Xiangyun Gao, Yujie Shan, Yun Zhou, Yong Chen, “Direct Droplet Writing – A Novel Droplet-punching Capillary-splitting 3D Printing Method for Highly Viscous Materials.” Procedia Manufacturing, 2021.
- Han Xu, Shuai Chen, Renzhi Hu, Muqun Hu, Yang Xu, Yeowon Yoon, Yong Chen. “Continuous Vat Photopolymerization for Optical Lens Fabrication.” Small, 2023.
- Yeowon Yoon, Yang Xu, and Yong Chen, “Porosity-embedded Structure Fabrication Via Hybrid Stereolithography and Inkjet Printing with Sacrificial Liquid.” Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 2022.
- Ye Yang, Songwei Li, Han Xu, Yang Xu, and Yong Chen, “Fabrication of flexible microheater with tunable heating capabilities by direct laser writing and selective electrodeposition.” Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 2022.
- Laiming Jiang, Gengxi Lu, Yang Yang, Yang Xu, Fangjie Qi, Jiapu Li, Benpeng Zhu, Yong Chen, “Multi-channel Piezo-ultrasound Implant with Hybrid Waterborne Acoustic Metastructure for Selective Wireless Energy Transfer at Megahertz Frequencies.” Advanced Materials, 2021.
- Yang Xu, and Qiang Liu. “NURBS Curve Fitting Method Considering Constraint of Streamline Field.” Journal of Computer-Aided Design & Computer Graphics, 2017.
Refereed Conference Proceedings:
- Yang Xu, Fangjie Qi, Xiangyun Gao, Yujie Shan, Yun Zhou, and Yong Chen, “Direct Droplet Writing – A Novel Droplet-punching Capillary-splitting 3D Printing Method for Highly Viscous Materials.” Proceeding of 49th SME-North American Manufacturing Research Conference, NAMRC49, Cincinnati, Ohio, June 21-25, 2021.
- Yang Xu, Yizhen Zhu, Yifeng Sun, Jie Jin, and Yong Chen, “A Vibration-assisted Separation Method for Constrained-surface-based Stereolithography.” Proceeding of the 2020 International Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference, MSEC2020-8453, Cincinnati, Ohio, June 22-26, 2020. (Best Paper Award)
- Akshay Bharadwaj, Yang Xu, Atin Angrish, Yong Chen, and Binil Starly, “Development of a Pilot Manufacturing Cyberinfrastructure with an Information Rich Mechanical CAD 3D Model Repository” Proceeding of the 2019 International Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference, MSEC2019-2882, Erie, Pennsylvania, June 10-14, 2019.
- Yong Chen, Yang Xu, and Huachao Mao. “In-situ Transfer Vat Photopolymerization for 3D Printing Microfluidic Devices with Precisely Controlled Channel Height and Membrane Thickness.” U.S. Provisional Patent Application No. 63/228,936.
- Yong Chen, and Yang Xu. “Automatic reusable support for 3d printing.” University of Southern California. U.S. Patent Application No. 16/615,213.
- Qiang Liu, Huan Liu, Shengkai Zhou, Chuanjun Li, and Yang Xu. “A kind of quick evaluation Method of Seeking Derivative during non-uniform rational B-spline real-time interpolation.” Beihang University. CN Patent Application No. CN201410338796.1A.
- Qiang Liu, Huan Liu, Shengkai Zhou, Chuanjun Li, and Yang Xu. “Fast evaluation and derivation method in the process of real-time non-uniform rational B spline interpolation.” Beihang University. CN Patent Application No. CN201410338796.1A.