Dr. Henry Y.K. LauAssociate Professor
Associate Dean of Engineering (Innovation)
Henry's research interest includes virtual and augmented reality, and artificial intelligence. He is also interested in the design and evaluation of automated material handling systems using computer simulation. He leads the devlopment of the imseCAVE VR system with researchers at the Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Systems Engineering.
Prior to joining The University of Hong Kong in 1997, Henry was a Senior Systems Engineers at the UK Atomic Energy Authority (UKAEA) and the AEA Technology plc. specializing in tele-robotics systems and advanced automation systems for the nuclear industry. While working in UK, Henry was a Visiting College Lecturer at Brasenose College, Oxford University teaching Engineering Science.
Henry is also the Warden of University Hall, The University of Hong Kong
- VIrtual Reality and Systems Engineering
- Systems Automation
- Information Systems
- Virtual Reality Technology
- Artificial Immune Systems
- Chris SK Leung and Lau HYK (2018) Multi-objective simulation-based optimization based on artificial immune systems for a distribution centre, Journal of Optimization, Volume 2018
- Chris SK Leung and Lau HYK (2018) A hybrid multi-objective AIS-based algorithm applied to simulation-based optimization of material handling system, Journal of Applied Soft Computing, 71: 553-567
- Zhang D, Yu Chuhang, Desai J, Lau HYK and Srivathsan S (2017) A time-space network flow approach to dynamic repositioning of a bicycle sharing system. Transportation Research Part B: Mythological, 103: 188-207.
- Yu Chuhang, Zhang D and Lau HYK (2017) A heuristic approach for solving an integrated gate reassignment and taxi scheduling problem, Journal of Air Transport Management, 62: 189 – 196.
- Yu C, Zhang D and Lau HYK (2016) MIP-based heuristics for solving robust gate assignment problems. Computers & Industrial Engineering, 93: 171 – 191.
- Chen J, Xu W, Ren HL and Lau HYK (2016) Data-driven methods towards learning the highly non-linear inverse kinematics of tendon-driven surgical manipulators. International Journal of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery, 2016: 1 – 11.
- Lau HYK (2016) The power of virtual reality in modern engineering, Cover Story in Hong Kong Engineer – The Journal of the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers, 44(10): 8–12. (November 2016) (http://www.hkengineer.org.hk/program/home/articlelist.php?cat=cover&volid=196)
- Zhang D, Yu C, Desai J and Lau HYK (2016) A math-heuristic algorithm for the integrated aircraft and passenger schedule recovery. Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, 84: 211-236.
- Ko TH and Lau HYK (2015) A responsive framework for optimal advertising policy in the digital music market. Journal of Industrial and Intelligent Information, 4(1): 34 – 40.
- Yu Chuhang and Lau HYK (2015) Airport gate reassignment based on the optimization of transfer passenger connections. Journal of Traffic and Logistics Engineering, 3(1): 25–30.
- Wong EYC, Tai AH, Lau HYK, Raman, M. (2015) An utility-based decision support sustainability model in slow steaming maritime operations. Transportation Research Part E, 78: 57 – 69.
- Qiu X and Lau HYK (2014) An AIS-based hybrid algorithm for static job shop scheduling problem. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, 25(3): 489–503.
- Yu CH and Lau HYK (2013) AIS-based algorithm for solving vehicle routing problem with simultaneous pick-up and delivery (VRP-SPD), Journal of Traffic and Logistics Engineering, 1(2): 174–178.
- Huang W, Yiu CKF and Lau HYK (2013) Semi-definite programming based approaches for real-time tractor localization in port container terminals, Numerical Algebra, Control and Optimization, 3(4): 665–680.
- Qiu X and Lau HYK (2013) An AIS-based hybrid algorithm with PDRs for multi-objective dynamic online job shop scheduling problem, Applied Soft Computing, 13(3): 1340–1351.
- Chan LKY and Lau HYK (2012) A cost effective virtual reality system for simulating logistics operations, International Journal of Logistics and SCM Systems, 6(1): 71–76.
- Chan RCM and Lau HYK (2012) AIS-based longevity and achievement optimization control in multi-robot system, Numerical Algebra, Control and Optimization, 2(1): 45–56.
- Lu SYP, Lau HYK, Yiu CKF (2012) A Hybrid Solution to Collaborative Decision-making in a Decentralized Supply-Chain, Journal of Engineering and Technology Management, 29(1): 95–111.
- Wong, EYC, Lau HYK and Mak KL (2010), Immunity-based evolutionary algorithm for optimal global container repositioning in liner shipping, International Journal of OR Spectrum, 32(3): 739 – 763.
- Ko WYA and Lau HYK (2009) Robot assisted emergency search and rescue system with a wireless sensor network, International Journal of Advanced Science and Technology, 3: 69 – 79.
- Lau HYK, Wong VWK and Ng AKS (2009). A Cooperative control model for multiagent-based material handling systems, Expert Systems with Applications, 36(1): 233 – 247.
- Lau HYK and Zhao Y (2008) Integrated scheduling of handling equipment at automated container terminals, International Journal of Production Economics, 112(2): 665 – 682.