Professor Mak received both his MSc degree in Manufacturing Engineering
and PhD degree in Systems Engineering at the University of Salford,
UK. He had accumulated substantial experience in industry prior to joining
the University of Hong Kong by working in several UK engineering enterprises
including the Pilkington Brothers Ltd., the T.S. Harrison and Sons Ltd.,
as well as in some enterprises in Hong Kong. Indeed, he has wide exposure
to industry, and is well connected with enterprises in the local and
overseas communities. His current research interests focus mainly on
Production and Operations Management, Product Development, Manufacturing
Systems Design and Control, and Logistics and Supply Chain Management.
He has published extensively in these areas. He also served the university
in other different capacities, for example, as Head of the IMSE department
for a number of years, and is currently an Associate Dean of the Faculty
Some Recent Publications
- K.L. Mak. J. Ma, and W. Su, A constraint programming approach for
production scheduling of multi-period virtual cellular manufacturing
systems. Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Natural
Computation, August 2010, Yantai, China.
- K.F.C. Yiu, L.L. Xie, and K.L. Mak, Analysis of bullwhip effect
in supply chains with heterogeneous decision models. Journal of Industrial
and Management Optimization. Vol. 5, No. 1, Feb. 2009.
- K.L. Mak and P. Peng, An automated inspection system for textile
fabrics based on Gabor filters. Robotics and Computer Integrated Manufacturing.
Vol. 24, No.3, pp.359-369, June 2008.
- K.L. Mak, P. Peng, X.X. Wang and T.L. Lau, An ant colony optimization
algorithm for scheduling virtual cellular manufacturing systems. International
Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing. Vol.20, No.6, pp.524-537,
- W.C. Ng and K.L. Mak, Quay crane scheduling in container terminals.
Engineering Optimization. Vol.38, Iss.6, pp.723-737, September 2006.
- K.L. Mak, J.G. Peng , Z.B. Xu , and F.C. Yiu, A novel neural network
for associative memory via dynamical systems, Discrete and Continuous
Dynamical Systems-Series B, Vol.6, No.3, pp.573-590, May 2006.
- K.L. Mak, X.X. Wang and J.S.K. Lau, A genetic scheduling methodology
for virtual cellular manufacturing systems: An industrial application.
International Journal of Production Research, Vol.43, No.12, pp.2423-2450,
- H.Y.K. Lau and K.L. Mak, Managing the development of manufacturing
systems software using a unified framework. International Journal
of Manufacturing Technology and Management, Vol.6, No.1/2, pp.81-97,
- X.G. Ming and K.L. Mak, A hybrid hopfield network-genetic algorithm
approach to optimal process plan selection. International Journal
of Production Research. Vol. 38, No. 8, pp. 1823-1839, 2000.
- K.L. Mak, Y.S. Wong and X.X. Wang, An adaptive genetic approach
for manufacturing cell formation. International Journal of Advanced
Manufacturing Technology.Vol. 16, pp. 498-515, 2000.